Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Adipex

It seems like everyone I know is taking prescription diet pills lately. Although it'd been around for years, I've definitely saw an increase in people taking Adipex in the past few months, both at my job and among my friends and family. Three of my friends are taking it that I know of, one is going in for a prescription tomorrow, [one of] her boyfriend(s) is taking it, my sister (who's about 5'7" and 145 pounds) and her friend are taking it. It's kind of overwhelming.

In most cases, these people are overweight. However, I think any doctor that gives my sister Adipex is not practicing ethically. She's a size 6 or 8-ish. She's not fat by anyone in the non-model world's standards that I know of, yet this doctor is handing out diet pills to her and further convincing her that she is in fact overweight.

And so, of course, there comes the question of why I don't jump on the pill wagon. My sister even asked if I wanted to go to her doctor yesterday, to get my own prescription. I just can't justify it for myself. Pills scare me. There's so much potential for side effects and feeling weird and I'm already a paranoid freak about my health. And I just don't see the longevity of it. When you stop taking Adipex, then what? You've not learned to eat healthy and exercise, and if you have, then you probably would have lost just as much weight without the pill in the first place.

I don't look down on anyone for the way they choose to lose weight (as long as its not unhealthy), but I just can't feel that these pills are the healthiest way of going about it. Yet here I sit at 300 pounds and counting, so I'm not sure how much more unhealthy you can get. Still, I want to know that I lost weight because of me, because of my choices - and not the choice to swallow a pill every morning.

No comments: